Monday, June 29, 2015

Week 25 Ahome

Hey everybody! 
Just another normal week here in the mission. Here are some of the highlights:

A ton of new missionaries just arrived here in the mission. In the district there are 2 new ones. I feel bad when they struggle with spanish. It´s like watching me 5 months ago. I´m still teaching English every week, and I´m getting better. I try to teach in the same way that they taught spanish in the MTC because that was so effective. It´s tough though when some of them have no desire to learn english. I guess that was me in spanish class in high school.

Some of our investigators are actually going to church. We had a great lesson on Thursday with 7 investigators. It kinda sucks because we found an investigador that is really great, but she is moving out of our area. Another decided he wanted to work in a shrimp farm for a month.

On Saturday we offered tours of the chapel to people walking around outside. I always get surprised by how easygoing people are here. About half of the random people that we talked to decided that a tour of the church would be fine. Sister Melgar was really bold. She stopped cars going by to ask if they wanted a tour. She even stopped a police truck driving by. The police truck refused the tour, saying they were on their way to an emergency. Probably to buy some pollo asado or something. Jajaja.

Saturday night, the sisters in Ahome had a baptism. The bishop was planning on baptizing him, but some crazy stuff happened that day. A drunk driver hit 3 of his relatives as they were just sitting outside their house. It was very sad news. I was chosen to be the one to baptize at the last second.

The young man we baptized is named Oscar, he is a very large kid. There were a few things that made the baptism very difficult to perform. Firstly, the water was only filled slightly above my knees. Also, Oscar weighs a ton and did not want to bend his knees or cooperate at all. I had to do it three times just to get him under the water. I literally had to push him down to submerge him. On the way up, I slipped trying to pull him up because his feet weren´t touching the ground and again, he weighs a lot. It was all good though, and it was a very spiritual night and a great experience.

That´s about it for the week. Next week marks 6 months in the mission. Woo Hoo! Have a good week everybody. :)

The baptism of Oscar

No comments:

Post a Comment