Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 58 Villa Bonita

Hey guys! 

This week was another amazing week here in Obregón. The heat hit us strong, it feels like we're already in June, but it's February. I'm already sweating like crazy, taking cold showers, and drinking a lot of water. I just need to survive one more 9 month summer.
Church was amazing yesterday. Ricardo got confirmed and chose me to confirm him. It was actually the first time that I've ever confirmed someone. When I was done, my hands were trembling. I literally felt as if the Holy Ghost was transfered from my hands into Ricardo, which is was happened. I was super nervous too, which makes my spanish suck.
I actually broke another record of mine. We had 9 investigators at church, just from our one companionship. Most of them were part of Ricardo´s family. Their family of 14 all showed up together in their one truck. You can imagine how I felt seeing so many investigators showing up at the same time.
We were planning to baptize Luis Angel tomorrow, but yesterday he told us that his parents don´t like the idea of him getting baptized. They told him he could get baptized in the catholic church and it would be the same. So many people just don´t understand. It seems that the spirit of the devil has confused so many people.

This week alone I have left so many lessons just feeling angry because the people are so caught up in the beliefs that they themselves don´t even understand. For example, we were teaching Kristo's mom, Esther, who is already a member of the church. It was the worst lesson ever. She told us that she only got baptized because her daughter was baptized. I don´t know how, but the discussion turned to the Virgin. I explained how God doesn´t want us to worship graven images because there is only one God and the images are created by man and they don´t answer our prayers. She answered angrily and said "You have an image of your mom in your backpack! You can´t tell me that I shouldn´t have the Virgin in my home, it´s the same thing!" I wanted to give up at that point. So many times, it seems that I teach so clearly, but the hearts of people are so confused by the devil that it is almost impossible for them to come to the knowledge of the simple truth of the Gospel.
I imagine that is how the mission would be like in Missouri. The devil has got the minds of people so confused that they believe anything that their pastor will tell them. There´s not a single person on this planet that knows everything, that´s what I always tell my investigators. Don´t just trust whatever we tell them, but ask God. That´s what I like about our church so much. God will give the same answer to everyone. It´s so simple, so easy, but the people sometimes would rather trust their minister more than God.
Anyway, those are my thoughts right now. I am trying to improve my teaching more, to help them understand how two world wide accepted truths prove that our church is true: God is our Father; He loves us and wants us to be happy. Those two truths help us to know that if we truly believe in God, we know that he can answer a simple prayer. God doesn´t want to and won´t hide the way to happiness from us, his kids. Seek and ye shall find.
I´m just about out of time, that was my week. I love you guys. Have a wonderful week!
-Elder Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment